Friday, October 14, 2005

Friendships and the Fruits of the Spirit

So last night at Jr. Youth God definitly challenged me. I love the fact that God can use me and teach me at the same time! Not only through the kids but through the little God talks that we have. They aren't anything long...maybe 10 minutes or so but I love them!

Last night we got talking about the fruits of the spirit and how we need to look for the fruits of the spirit in our friendships. GOOD IDEA! Why did no one tell me about this 5 years ago when I first started grade 9. I couldn't help but sit there and think back upon all of the friendships that I have had...and sad to say most of the friends I had didn't possess any of the fruits of the spirit. What was I thinking? Not only were these people taking themselves down, they were bringing me with them! I remember in high school feeling really discouraged most of the time about my friends. I always wanted more out of them, expected more and now I realize why! Because, deep down those fruits of the spirit were important to me. For me to feel like I benefited from a friendship I needed to see that the person I was friends wanted the same thing as me. But none of them did. So I felt betrayed, let down and ultimately that nothing was ever "REAL". It was all superficial. It really is discouraging when you don't have anyone that you can connect with, that can be an encouragement to you. More importantly be an encouragement in CHRIST. Last night made me realize how important it should have been for me to find QUALITY friends. Once I graduated high school, it was like this giant slap in the face. Where were my friends? Where were those people that I thought cared about me and wanted to hang out with me. They were all gone. I realized for the first time, that if I wanted friendships to last, I needed to find people that wanted that to.
All those years I wasted on friendships that I thought were fulfilling, but were only physically fulfilling. Only "here on this earth" fulfilling. They weren't spiritually encouraging or mentally fulfilling at all. I began to rekindle my friendships with those people that truly cared about my spiritual well being. Those people that enjoyed my company and wanted to uplifted by me. And I love the friendships that I have made now and have rekindled these last few years. I appreciate those of you (and you know who you are) who constantly are an encouragement to me and have never left my side. You posses those fruits of the spirit. You posses love and joy and peace and patience and kindness and goodness and faithfulness, gentleness and self control. Many of you I can think of that are really great at a few things:) I wanted to say thank you for following God's leading and obeying his commands when he tells us to posses the fruits of the spirit. You truly have blessed my life! I love having friends like you!

2 comments:

karina said...

hi melissa. i found your blog - wow, i almost said i found your glob...your wedding pictures are lovely :)

Janelle said...

hey melissa! if you need some help with that "favorites list", just comment on my blog & if you have an e-mail address, that would be the easiest way for me to help you.. let me know!