Tuesday, November 15, 2005

New beginnings

Isn't that what life is about? New beginnings...second chances. God's grace at work in our lives. It is amazing how he knows all things and orchestrates all things. He believes in new beginnings, and hopes for them in our lives.
This past weekend was a new beginning for myself and my family. For the first time in my life, I met my Dad's father, my Grandpa. For my own Dad, it was the first time he had seen his own father in 23 years. My Grandpa George is now 67 years old, and has just moved this past September from NovaScotia to Alberta, with the help of my Uncle Bob. My Dad's parents were divorced when he was quite young, about 12 years of age. Since that time, my Dad has only made contact with his own Father a few times. Those few times were also accidents I believe. There were many hard feelings, and hurts and bad memories about my Grandpa.
It truly is a miracle from God that they met for the first time in 23 years this weekend. God is so good. He is the healer and the restorer. To be able to watch my father interact with his own father and share interests that they probably never knew they had, made my heart fill with joy! They were able to start some new memories this weekend, ones that hopefully will prevail over the old ones. We know that this isn't a drastic change, and that hurts are still being healed, but our family is so excited.
Grandpa is a wonderful man, and funny enough, reminds us exactly of Dad!
It was fun to get to know Grandpa. After all these years, we all realized we had been missing out on a lot!
When God is able to release us from the fear that binds us, and we are able to let it go and move forward, he wants to and does do amazing things.
I am excited and look forward to being able to spend more time with my new Grandpa. I think our entire family feels that way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melissa,
I am so excited to hear that relationships were restored this weekend. Wow, God is so good. What a testimony that is...you guys and your persistence in praying for your grandpa honors God so much. I pray that he will continue to bless you with healing and restoration! :)

Brian Rhodes said...

Great story! I hope that everything works out for your family. I'm lovin' the snowy picture. It NEVER snows like that around here. I'm a little jealous. I live in SC. Anyway, I pray you and your family will continue on such a positive path to reconciliation.

Janelle said...

I'm super encouraged by what has happened in your family. i am just beginning to reconnect with my birthfamily & i'm praying that things will start working out. not that i have to meet them - i'll be ok if i don't. but just that wounds could be healed.
Praise God for what has been done in your dad & your grandpa.

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! Lucaya westin all inclusive