Tuesday, December 06, 2005

vehicle troubles and other things

These past 3 weeks have been frustrating to put it midly. Seems that our lovely little red volkswagon golf has decided that it detests the cold weather, and really who blames it! I mean...all of a sudden it goes from plus 5 to -21 in one night and the poor thing doesn't know what to think. I am convinced it has its own personality, and although it is just a car...I've come to realize it has quite a temper. Not only does it have a temper, it choses the most awkward and inconvenient times to flare up its temper and decide that she just doesn't want to work. But she just doesn't want to work for us...the mechanic on the other hand...I think she might be in love with him...because she purrs like a kitten everytime she ends up in the shop.
We've been praying and crossing our fingers everytime we get into her for the last 3 weeks, wondering if she is going to start and get us from point A to point B. I think that is the most frustrating part for us. We have been stranded numerous times in the cold, and it isn't anything close to fun.
The car is now in the shop for the 4th consecutive time in 3 weeks, and praise the Lord, they have been able to somewhat detect what she is making such a fuss about. My Dad has been SO helpful in this whole thing. He has been able to track down parts for us, and used ones, which makes the financial side of things that much easier. Our mechanic has been so generous and kind to us, and has been very patient. We have enjoyed working with him so much. (Little plug here for Import Auto...if you own an import car any of you and live in Saskatoon...take it over to Import Auto...John is a GREAT guy!).
We are hoping that this week we will be able to get our car back. Being carless has been a really eye opening experience for me. I didn't like it at all at first...the fact that I couldn't go where I wanted whenever I wanted. We have become so dependant on our vehicles that we aren't quite sure how to function without them. Although the weather is cold, I have enjoyed getting exercise and walking to work. Some days the long johns come out and it is a must to wear them. People have graciously offered us rides to and from youth group and church, and our parents have even leant us one of their vehicles one week, and this week a couple in our church willingly lent us their truck!
It has been a hard journey for me definitly. God is putting to test my trust in him...and my ability to praise him and be thankful in the times when things are unknown and frustrating. I find myself always looking at the negative things...like how bad the timing is, and how frustrating it is to get around without a car, and how I don't like asking other people for things.
It seems that God is using the things that he knows I hold on to the most on this earth, and teaching me to be able to let them go, and roll with the punches. To appreciate the things I do have, to lay down my pride and enjoy letting other people serve me by allowing us to use thier vehicles and giving us rides. God is ALWAYS faithful. He takes care of us always...and teaches us valuable lessons that sometimes we don't catch until after.
I guess I just think I need to be more willing to let God teach me and mold me in situations like our car. I need to say, "this is God teaching us" and let him teach. Instead I tend ot fight it the ENTIRE way...getting upset, being angry and feeling hurt and being worried about everything. His pan is perfect and if I ever doubt that he doesn't know what he is doing, I'm being foolish, because he knows EXACTLY what he is doing.

2 comments:

karina said...

yes, jason likes import auto too. we take the old audi there when it still runs enough to get there, that is :) i was wondering about that truck last night. it's nice to have good friends :)

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP »